Waterton Lakes 2024 landscape photography workshop
Instruction and creative coaching by Anna Morgan and TJ Thorne
Join Anna Morgan and TJ Thorne for an unforgettable experience in Waterton Lakes National Park, within the traditional and sacred Siksikaitsitapi (Blackfoot) territory. Here, the rolling prairies of Alberta meet the stunning peaks of the Rocky Mountains at one of the most beautiful destinations in the Canadian Rockies.
Designed for those who seek creative growth, learning and possibility, in this unique workshop, we will encourage you to slow down and open your mind and heart to the sweeping landscapes and intimate scenes that the park has to offer. You'll have the opportunity to explore and experiment with different techniques to connect with the natural world and grow as an artist. You can make your deposit payment towards the bottom of the page. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out. You can contact me here.
Our workshop philosophy
We believe that the creative path is a never-ending, highly rewarding, and self-fulfilling journey. Creating new work takes persistence, patience and demands active participation of the photographer. It resists and challenges what we experience in other aspects of our fast-paced grind culture. Our goal is to foster an elevated awareness of your surroundings, encourage you to explore, experiment and emotionally connect to the aspects of nature that call to you, and to plant seeds of creativity via thoughts and concepts that will open doors into new ways of interpreting the environment through your lens. We help you discover practical methods to let go of attachments and expectations in the field, and instead find space to invite possibility which, we believe, leads to creating more expressive and personally meaningful images.
While we are committed to making sure you come away from the workshop with great photos, the true value lies in unlocking your inner voice and growing into your creative, authentic self. We focus on the development your creative vision and creating personal and meaningful experiences for you to carry with you on your journey.
May 27-30, 2024.
Moderate - Be prepared for short hikes that may be up to 3km long. Many routes are paved but there will also be uneven ground on some trails and beaches.
$1725 CAD (+GST) /person.
$550 CAD (+GST) deposit is required to secure your spot.
A maximum of ten spots are available. Please note that a minimum of 5 spots must be filled for this workshop to go ahead. If this number is not reached, all deposits will be fully refunded by March 31, 2024.
Our meeting point will be the newly constructed Visitor Centre in Waterton Lakes National Park which will act as a base while we travel to various locations within the park. There is ample parking on site including RV parking and electric vehicle charging spaces. At this time of year, water is in full flow and myriad wildflowers carpet the lower lying areas of the park. We will focus on photographing these, the mountains that are ever present and the spectacular red rock canyon. Our itinerary for this tour will be flexible in order to adapt to changing weather and light conditions as they occur. We'll use our experience to put you in the best possible position to make compelling photographs.
Included in the Workshop
- Expert guidance to outstanding photography locations within Waterton Lakes National Park.
- Thoughtful in-the-field instruction on image capture technique including:
- Visual exploration of the scene to identify compelling compositions that tell a story.
- Thinking beyond the obvious to create unique images that are personally meaningful.
- Creative use of every kind of light so we are not relying only on sunsets and sunrises. We will explore the potential of soft and direct light as well as backlit scenes.
- Technical instruction: compensating for high dynamic range, focus stacking, exposing to the right, reading your histogram, tricks and tips for proper focusing, full manual control of your camera, and everything in-between.
- Daily in-depth interactive discussions focused on creative thinking, motivations and discovery of self.
- Guaranteed adventure with two laid back instructors who are eager to share their knowledge and help you grow as an artist and person.
Not Included in the Workshop
- Transportation to and from the workshop
- Transportation during the workshop
- Meals and snacks
- Travel insurance
Travel and Accommodations
- From Calgary International Airport (YYC), it is a 2.5 hour drive to the entrance to Waterton Lakes National Park. Lethbridge airport (YQL) is less than 1.5 hours away by road and Pincher Creek (where the Lightchasers Conference is held) is only a 30 minute drive away.
- Both hotel and camping accommodations are available locally for the workshop.
- Your own standard (or rental) vehicle will suffice for this workshop, A high clearance vehicle is not required. Once the workshop has started, we organize carpools to and from locations within the park.
Payment and terms
A deposit of $550 CAD + GST will be required upon sign up. The balance of $1,1175 CAD + GST is due 45 days (April 12, 2024) prior to the date of the workshop. After the deposit is paid, a PayPal invoice for the remainder will be sent and payments on the balance can be made at your convenience.
Should you need to cancel for any reason, a notice of cancellation must be sent to, and received by, Anna Morgan Photography in writing, which will become effective as of the date sent.
- If you send your notice of cancellation more than 90 days prior to the start of the workshop, your initial payment minus a $100 CAD fee will be refunded.
- If you send your notice of cancellation between 45 and 90 days prior to the start of the workshop, you shall forfeit your deposit but shall not be liable for the remaining tuition balance. Although the the deposit is non-refundable in this situation, it is transferrable to another party. If you can find someone to take your spot, or if your spot is filled from someone on our waiting list, your initial payment will be refunded minus a $100 CAD fee.
- If you send your notice of cancellation less than 45 days prior to the start of the workshop, you shall forfeit your entire tuition and no refund will be given. Although the tuition is non-refundable in this situation, it is transferrable to another party. If you can find someone to take your spot, or if your spot is filled from someone on our waiting list, your initial payment will be refunded minus a $100 CAD fee.
- In the rare event that a workshop is cancelled by Anna Photography due to unforeseen circumstances, you will be given either the opportunity to reschedule or a full refund. It is recommend that you avoid purchasing non-refundable airline tickets, and consider purchasing trip cancellation insurance. It is recommended that you avoid purchasing non-refundable airline tickets, and purchase travel insurance.
- Please note that a minimum of 5 spots must be filled for this workshop to go ahead. If this number is not reached, all deposits will be fully refunded by March 31, 2024.
By paying your deposit you are confirming that you have read, understand and fully agree to the Terms and Conditions. The deposit price below is inclusive of GST.